Sunday, October 7, 2007

Objectives


Frankie Andreu always said to never leave for a ride without some kind of objective in mind. During the season, I do try my best to adhere to this school of thought. However, recent days have left me striving to identify any reasons to ride other than personal enjoyment.

Although the fall weather has been hot and muggy, I have found one riding objective that has proven sure to soothe the soul. I know you all do it and I know everyone looks forward to it during the fall season…most of us have probably been doing it since the first time we started rolling around on two wheels. I’m talking about the therapeutic sound of fall leafs crunching below our tires. Yesterday, I embarked on a solo 70 mile mtb ride with the intent of nothing more than hunting down as many crunchy leafs as I could and rolling over them as if I were playing connect the dots with my two-wheeled steed. It was whimsical, childlike and reassuring of why I am so drawn to the careless self-propelled feeling of traveling around my environment on a symphony of orchestrated carbon fiber, aluminum, and me. At times, I even slip into a meditative Zen-like state where I forget about all worries, anxieties, and that I am even riding a bike at the moment.

So it is with my suggestion that I recommend all of you cycling junkies to sometime between intervals, recovery rides, race preps, and hammerfests, to go out with the intent of nothing more than hunting down the fruits of autumn.

No comments: