Saturday, January 19, 2008

62 Years. I cannot comprehend.

"The average man's love of liberty is nine-tenths imaginary, exactly like his love of sense, justice and truth. He is not actually happy when free; he is uncomfortable, a bit alarmed, and intolerably lonely. Liberty is not a thing for the great masses of men. It is the exclusive possession of a small and disreputable minority, like knowledge, courage and honor. It takes a special sort of man to understand and enjoy liberty -- and he is usually an outlaw in democratic societies. It is, indeed, only the exceptional man who can even stand it. The average man doesn't want to be free. He simply wants to be safe."
-H.L. Mencken

Today I had lunch with my grandparents in honor of their 62nd year of marriage. After a few hours of talking politics and how confusing technology is for them, I began to try and really wrap my head around what 62 years of marriage meant. I pondered the concept in complete awe and came to the conclusion that it is impossible for me to comprehend. Rather, it is only plausible for me to aspire.

In a new era and arguably a new world…can we ever be like our parents or grandparents? Although, growing statistics say no, the romantic and passionate side of me says yes.

1 comment:

Robert said...

If I get married tonight and live to 110 I could match 62 years... Hmmm... That's gona be tough on several levels... Congrats to granma and granpa!!!