Friday, March 21, 2008

Spring Break Training Camp Day One: Homage to our Michigan Native


Today was another one of those days that served as a clear affirmation that I am not content with living in the metro Detroit area of Michigan. 73 degrees and sunny was the catalyst for a beautiful 73 mile loop in which we never saw one traffic light.


Danny suggested a few days back that we roll through Scott McLarty’s homestead on the way down to Georgia. The rationale was to get a few days of rolling hills before we punish our legs with lactic acid in the mountains of Northern GA.





Scott, former Essex Brass Teammate and Berkley resident, recently relocated himself and family to Louisville, Kentucky. I must say, he was a great tour guide and pitched a pretty convincing sales pitch that Louisville is one of the Nations best kept secret as far as cool cities with a powerful cycling presence goes. Louisville hosts some of the reputable teams such as the Texas Roadhouse boys, Barbasol Cycling Team, and the Papa John’s Cycling Team. He informed us that the Master’s Nationals race will also be hosted in a nearby park by his house. Upon hearing this news I quickly made reservations at the McLarty household for next years race, as I will be celebrating my first season that I will be eligible for a masters race. We were very grateful for our decision to pay pilgrimage to Scott and this town when, upon completion of our day of riding, we returned to an extremely tasty home cooked meal.

Prior to our ride we stopped by a small shop named the Cycler's Café. The shop was unique because it was also a burrito/beer/coffee shop. We strolled around the shop for about an hour kicked some tires, and treated ourselves to a pre-ride burrito. The shop proved to be magnificent marriage of all things cyclist love.

Whew! Just scoped out the current weather status back home. I am definitely not regretful that I left the Motor City behind this spring break.

We are going to get one more Louisville ride in tomorrow before setting sail for Helen, GA where it will literally all be uphill from there. Details to follow…

5 comments:

ags1975 said...

You guys suck! The Kroske and I toughed it out and got our miles in, in he cold, in the slop, and in the pot holes. Character and toughness - Charlie Brown and AL-1, Finkelstein and Kaline 0.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
JBrandt said...

Instead of rolling miles this morning, I shoveled snow. Nice. Glad to hear somebody's having fun. My hope is that tomorrow, I'll get the opportunity to scrape ice off my windshield. I can think of no better way to spend Easter.

Cruise said...

I'm disappointed in your choice to wear armwarmers...