Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Monkhood-Induced Ramblings Vol.2

“Would you tell me please which way I ought to go from here?”

“That depends a good deal on where you want to get to,”
Said the Cat.
“I don’t much care where…”
Said Alice

“Then it doesn’t matter which way you go,” said the Cat.

-From Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland

What’s my point? BEGIN WITH THE END IN MIND

Lately as I’ve been rolling out my door for the day’s ride I’ve been blessed with a tailwind at my back. No matter how many times it happens, I never get over the magnificence of the feeling of a tailwind. Sometimes it’s as if God is pushing me along, giving me encouragement.

Down deep in every human heart is a hidden longing, impulse, and ambition to do something fine and enduring.
-Greenville Kleiser

As I move forward, drunken by the feeling of virtually effortless speed I begin to hear sounds over my shoulder. Those sounds are saying, “It’s a pipe dream, He’s going to crash and burn, He’s in over his head, He doesn’t know what he’s doing”. The sounds fuel me to push harder, ride longer, train smarter. It’s at this time that everything is all so clear to me. I ask, if I am to simply aim laterally and not high, than how am I to elevate myself? After all, that is what this is all about, self-actualization and elevation.


BEGIN WITH THE END IN MIND. Where am I going, how will I get there?

That which we persist in doing becomes easier—not that the nature of the task has changed, but our ability to do has increased.”
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

8 comments:

Cruise said...

Dale's always telling me this. Good thing you got yourself together. I, most certainly, do not. My goals are all over the place..

Anonymous said...

Stephen Covey, is there anything you can't teach us?

My saw seems a little dull, can you fix that?

Kroske said...

You seem to have many dull things, my friend.

Timothy Finkelstein said...

Cruise,

Consider your strengths. I thought your TT goals seemed to make a lot of sense. I think you could crush the TTs this year and I think it would compliment your track goals as well. Nonetheless, figure it out and stick to it. I still think whatever you choose this will be a stellar year for you!

K-man,

Sharpening the saw=reducing that pillow of gelatenous goo under your jersey. I was looking at TT pics of you last year and you were quite svelt at the time. These days, I see a full grown new born baby when I look at you. No offense...use it as fuel!

Finkelstein

TheBrothersChase said...

Hey Tim, does the path to monkhood roll through Tucson? It is alot easier to knock out centuries when it is 70 and sunny. By the way I'm doing the 24 hours in the old pueblo this weekend (as a team, I'm a pussy). Let me know.

-Eric

Timothy Finkelstein said...

I read about that...I currently have the annual pilgrimage to GA planned for April. If that falls threw, perhaps it may have to take a detour to AZ. We'll see. I would love to come out there! 24hr Nationals is there this year...hmmmm. Time conflict though.

Good luck this weekend! Glad to here from you.

Anonymous said...

Tim, I noticed that the person or persons that like to talk shit on your blog never seem to leave their name. Why do you think that is?

Dan Frayer said...

Tim,
Shoot me an email frayerd@gmail.com I would like to sneak a peak at your curriculum and discuss some instructional methods. I have a younger age group, same situation.
Any info would be helpful and appreciated.
df