Monday, February 7, 2011

Homage Manifesto

First post of 2011…where have I been? It seems that for years, this blog has served as a platform for all of my cycling induced ramblings. However, recently I’ve found myself less apt to want to voice my thoughts and rather focus on minimizing outside distraction in an effort to maximize my efforts towards this summer’s task at hand. So I apologize for my lack of posts these days. This year’s task does not only include putting together my race season but also getting married as well as procuring a four legged new addition to my family.

Truth is I haven’t had much to say lately that you all haven’t heard from me already. You can only write so many race reports, submissions on perseverance, and insights into the larger, metaphorical significance of cycling before it all seems to sound like recycled redundancy and you lose interest. I also am not quite sure people even read blogs anymore. I’m beginning to assume that if my thoughts are not limited to 140 characters, than they will not be absorbed by my peers.

I have never used this blog as a venue to vent my emotions about the happenings of my immediate cycling culture and scene. Well, I did write a bit of a manifesto on April 14th, 2008 that even the MI Scene felt compelled to repost but other than that, I’ve kept my outlook and attitude positive. This is all to say until now. It seems that hearsay and grumblings amongst the more virgin layer of the Metro-Detroit race culture has left me with a very bad taste in my mouth that I can’t seem to get out.

What caused this bad taste? I’m speaking about the recent doings of the generation of “the grass is greener on the other side” racers. I’m speaking directly to those riders who don’t ask what they can do to be a part of the team they are on but rather what is the team going to do for me? I’m speaking directly to those who display and air of entitlement and think that just because they’ve finished a few races, maybe even wound up in the money a couple times, that the sport owes them something more than what they are already getting. I’m talking about those who make lateral team leaps to solve their lack of race results rather than putting their heads together with their comrades to develop a cohesive plan of how to improve collectively. And I’m specifically speaking to those who have no hesitation to forget to acknowledge those responsible for first taking them to a race, teaching them how to ride a pace line, how to corner, what interval training is all about, how to have fun with the sport, and sometimes simply how to put your rear wheel on properly. There is no need to name names; if you need to hear this, you will.

Perhaps this disgust may be exacerbated by the fact that I’ve been watching The Soprano’s all season on the trainer, but nonetheless there are principles here. Aside from the immoral behavior, gratuitous murders, and sociopathic tendencies of The Soprano’s, there are some ethical life lessons to be learned. Hierarchy is an idea that helps keep order, respect, and hard work an integral component of a culture. It combats entitlement and helps to create an environment of multidirectional respect amongst its members. Respect is given by what has been shown, and true success comes from goals and aspirations that are reinforced by those around you. In a sense cycling has always been a brotherhood for me. And with that name “brotherhood” accompanies very serious connotations, much like words like love or hate. You better truly mean it if you say it.

Lets all be honest with ourselves, the glory that is received from racing success is indeed a romanticized one. Only about 0.5% of bike racers throughout the world really even make enough money to make an actual career out of it. However, every season thousands of amateur racers line up seeking something they have not yet mentally attained. So we must do it for other motives. Hopefully these motives extend beyond discounted product. While these motives could easily be filibustered upon for pages I think we can narrow them down to two things:
1. To gain respect of your peers and a name for yourself you can be proud of.
2. To experience the personal intrinsic satisfaction that cannot be bought but rather only attained through hard work and dedication.

Now I’m not speaking directly to those who may have made team transitions due to a relocation of residence or specifically those who have moved up in the rankings to a team that can bring them to the next step like bigger and better races and venues. However, I may be speaking about you if you are one who failed to look back at those who helped pave the path to that next step. Frankie Andreu always took the time throughout all the phases of his career to thank Michigan cycling and specifically the Wolverine Sports Club for helping him get to where he was. I’m speaking most directly to the riders who make lateral team moves without first discussing with their current team and with the notion that because their current team may not have to offer exactly what they personally want, they’re bailing rather than trying to play their part in improving the “whole”.

If we are to look at racing as being part of a brotherhood, then perhaps shouldn’t we try and mend problems rather than just leaving them? If you have a problem with a family member, do you simply leave and go join another one? Mutualism is a fundamental aspect of our behavior as mammals.

You may agree with my idea or not, and that’s ok. I value different sets of opinions. I simply feel that this idea boils down to foundational ethics and manners that human beings deserve to give each other.

I may simply just be old school at heart, but I still think cycling is a team sport. However, I see an increase each season in new riders that don’t want to be part of a team but simply want to keep their own personal best interests as first priority. I always wonder why these types of riders don’t just race solo with a jersey that simply says “ME” as the title sponsor.

In a culture that seems to become cheaper and more and more disposable everyday, let’s try and keep our sport honorable and valuable. Appreciate that you belong to something that was here before you, would still be here without you, and WILL be here after you are long gone. Respect your fellow riders no matter what level they may be at. And most importantly, honor your team by displaying basic forms of courtesy and respect.

Thank you, and my closet is now clean. Rebuttals are welcome privately or publically, but do me the favor of not doing it anonymously. See you all at the line.

27 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tim,

You forgot one thing about this behavior of lateral moves for the greener grass. For the individuals perpetrating the move there is a snake in the grass team enabling the behavior.

A. Smith

Anonymous said...

who jumped ship? there is alot of arrogance on that team so maybe you should sit down with your team
mates. pretty much the reason i dont ride the birmingham ride anymore. i wont name names, but some of them should watch who they're talking too and what they are saying because they dont know me from adam, and one day someone isnt going to let it slide.

Anonymous said...

There are plenty of people that appreciate the old school of thought. There will always be those that take anonymous shots as well.

GBK

the MICHIGANSCENE said...

maybe T was right, maybe some sceners need to look in the mirror.
We must agree with the whole ship jumping, one thing TMs never understand is the whole dual sponsorship "SOME" sceners like to portray in the other avenues of the race scene, what? your primary care giver isn't good enough you need 2? don't get it? well for the road scne im raving for..but when im mtb im this guy. pick a mate for the season and stick with her. nobody gonna hate you if your on a "road" team playin the dirt..just our 2 cents..

Anonymous said...

Tim very well put, but its a sad fact that society is to blame, its all about me. this is not shot at you by no means but i do agree with TMS's comment about the whole dual sponsorship thing. Its like having two wives to some extent. Commit to promote the brotherhood of one for the year. I know some do it for different reasons its like wearing different clothing depending on the club or bar your going to. But in my opinion, our ego's get in the way. and we feel compelled to look more of the part.
Hopefully your good thoughts reach clay like minds.

Timothy Finkelstein said...

One thing we can always count on TMS for is calling out people and provoking thought…as it is labeled, “Cash for Chaos”, a quiet and anonymous pot stir-er if you will. Nonetheless, you’ve provoked an introspective glimpse at myself.

Perhaps you can provide me with more case and point? I’m not aware of too many other local riders flying two flags other than myself. Perhaps it is more of a problem than I am aware of. However, I suppose its how you look at it.

To my own defense, the 29er Crew is designed to be a decentralized team used to market the product on a widely spread market, a bit of gorilla marketing. In addition, it is designed to stay within your already existing family. The 29er Crew hand picks riders from their LBS and teams that exemplify the qualities they look for in a rider to represent their brand. They encourage you to stay with your current teams and sponsorships and any obligations you have to them. Their most important wish is that you simply write about the product and spread the stoke. In a sense, it is much like an all star team in an already existing league. Before my initial agreement to represent them I discussed it with the leaders of my team (courtesy #1).

And as I don’t really go to bars all that much, I fail to see that analogy.

It’s all good that some anonymous representation finds my situation uncouth. Again, I appreciate and welcome the different ideas and opinions. But I’m not sure it coincides with the message I am trying to bring. It almost seems like displacement.

I also don’t think we can rest on a cheap and cliché answer like “society is to blame”. That is like saying McDonalds made me fat.

Keep the comments coming…remove the gloves…but keep your face visible please.

Anonymous said...

there is alot of arrogance on that team
BOY HOWDY! isn't that the truth. Ive done The B ride a few times would never go back for that reason. I couldn't figure who these guys actually think they are.
Maybe Tim as the chosen one, you should seek to the "inner team" to straighten the herd out before they jump the fence.

Timothy Finkelstein said...

The 29er Crew may come and go, perhaps other teams. But I'll always be a Wolverine and proud.

Timothy Finkelstein said...

"Maybe Tim as the chosen one, you should seek to the "inner team" to straighten the herd out before they jump the fence."

Oh how I have tried over and over the years. Like beating your head against a wall. However, some cancers are uncureable. Sometimes they need to be lanced.

Remember, I am not only speaking of the WSC.

the MICHIGANSCENE said...

Tim, first off we love and respect you with all our heart, and pot stirring is sometimes good as we tend as humans to tell people what they want to hear, but not what they need to.
The double duty thing doesn't fly with us. In our opinion at most in its simplest form, its a conflict of interest, you and others can justify it all you want in your ego, and mind. TMS doesn't need to name names, those that go know.
in an extreme form John Doe doesn't need another family across town to represent and act out what he already has on Haywood street. You and others may not understand that type of thinking and that's ok. As that's what makes all of us individuals. If we were all the same it would be a pretty boring world right?

And in our opinion your wrong about the society thing, "most" not all imitate what they see.

Anonymous said...

Between CX, MTB, and road there are lots of riders that slip on different kits. The Argyle Army has some of these guys, the 29er Crew, DK and whatever jersey he chooses to wear to a mountain bike race, even Mike Anderson throws on another jersey on the road, and the list goes on. I think it is less about the ego and more about helping a shop or company that has a rider to help. Trek and Specialized must believe these grassroots riders are worth supporting and therefore convincing riders that already have teams to help out. I have done it and will be the first to say I didn't care for it. My heart wasn't into the other team and neither were my true cycling relationships. There is nothing wrong with doing it though. For a rider like Tim sending well written posts to the folks at Gary Fisher is great and he said the team gave him permission. No harm no foul.

Timothy Finkelstein said...

TMS. You know I have nothing but love for you. The pot stiring is a good thing. You are the Wizard of MI Cycling. There's a reason we've always steered clear of revealing your true identity. When it all boils down, I don't want to know. I want to hang onto your idea like Santa Clause. It is a velo-inspired vantriliquist act at it's finest.

I am very happy I am getting some reinforcement that people STILL read blogs.

I was beginning to feel that i don't belong to a scene anymore.

Glad to see another spark has been ignited!

True art is supposed to evoke emotion...be it, positive or negative, happy or sad.

Anonymous said...

Maybe the Wolverine "brotherhood" should act in a Marine like way, THE FEW THE PROUD, instead of handing out team kits like water at a Disease ride.

Timothy Finkelstein said...

"Maybe the Wolverine "brotherhood" should act in a Marine like way, THE FEW THE PROUD, instead of handing out team kits like water at a Disease ride."

You may be onto something. However, we've always welcomed riders to try and develop them. This lends intself naturally to a few bites in the ass each season and a few knives in the back though.

Like the late, great Claire Young once said, "I made a lot of cakes in my day, someone else put the icing on them".

The core of the group and the idea has stayed consistent for sometime.

Kroske said...

My team mates are my friends. When a team mate moves on, I feel like I’m losing a friend. But that’s not really true, is it.

Anonymous said...

Just all sounds like colossal
whining to me.
We're all just a bunch of amateur hacks.
Just ride and race your bike.
And shut the freak up.

Anonymous said...

"Just all sounds like colossal
whining to me.
We're all just a bunch of amateur hacks.
Just ride and race your bike.
And shut the freak up"

TRUTH!

Timothy Finkelstein said...

You're right.



We should just ride and race our bike.

Anonymous said...

When you arrive at a fork in the road, take it - Yogi Berra

Anonymous said...

Fork in the Road
May 21st, 2010

As we continue on our path
I can no longer guide you
Making your choices isn’t fair to you
And lying to me about what you do
Isn’t fair to me.

This long path we’ve been walking on
No longer makes sense, it hasn’t
I’ve demanded more from you
That you don’t want to give
I’ve given you time
That I didn’t feel I had

Now it’s time for you
To reach that fork in the road
I will be on one side
With open arms, hoping you will join me
My heart wide open, always loving you

On the other side will be your own path
Without me, after so long
Making your own choices, only you to blame

Throughout I can’t be selfish
I want to bring you to that fork in the road
For you to choose for yourself
Regardless of what I feel
I only want,
Your Happiness.
Maybe then, I will find mine.

by Matthew Henrickson

Henrietta Collins said...

Santa Clause, now that's funny. I still want to sit on Santa's lap and tell him what I want every year. I hope that doesn't make me one of those selfish pricks you keep talking about that demand more from the team than they give.

Anonymous said...

were some of the guys demanding free dope instead of buying it from schubel?

Anonymous said...

ASS GAS OR GRASS

NO-ONE GETS THERE RIDE FOR FREE.

except maybe, KACHELBERRY

Anonymous said...

Kachelberry is so blatantly jacked yet you
allow him on your team. Where are the ethics
there?

Anonymous said...

There go the anons with their baseless accusations. Man up and own your accusations.Otherwise, you just come off sounding like a sore loser.

Timothy Finkelstein said...

Why do I have the distinct feeling that all of the anon comments are originating from the same source...hmmmmmm?

the MICHIGANSCENE said...

darn Tim what a can of worms.