Friday, June 29, 2007

Who Cares? I'm Falling...


With preparations for this weekend’s State Criterium Championships, it seemed that no one has really caught my eye for the “Who Cares? I’m Flying Award” yet. However, I did have the pleasure of riding with Allen Smith yesterday. Allen’s cycling career thus far, has a hefty resume of not to keeping the rubber side down, yesterday was no exception.
As I arrived at Allen’s, he proceeded to inform me that he got hit by a car on his vintage 50lb Schwinn earlier this morning while on a innocent 3 block jaunt to a local bakery to score some donuts. Although he seemed to be a bit shaken up mentally, he was able to forge onto the WSC/Dybowski skills drills session in the B-Ham Cemetery, then the Beverly ride at 6:00. However, it seems that somehow (Kroske), Allen was taken out on one of the turns in the cemetery and landed ass up/shoulder down on top of mangled mountain of carbon fiber in front of a tombstone. One passerby asked, “Is he ok?”…Dybowski replied, “He’s fine, we just need a shovel and we’ll be all set”. Allen soon rose to his feet again, relatively unscathed and was able to finish the ride complete with some fresh new skid marks on his shoulder.

So everybody raise their water bottles to Allen this week, He is our honorary “Who Cares? I’m FALLING Award”.