Wednesday, April 13, 2011

STS Week #3: Who Cares?...I’m Flying!


It’s been sometime since I’ve made any reference to the Dybo-inspired mantra of “Who Cares?...I’m Flying”. For those who are unaware, this mentality is attained when one puts all life responsibilities on hold to devote every ounce of their being into their training and racing. For instance, your gutters may be falling off your house, your family and friends may have not seen you in months, perhaps your bills are piling up but you’re out there every weekend racing and doing well. Hence, “Who Cares?...You’re Flying”.

Years ago I always used to award any rider whose efforts stuck out in my mind with the W.C.I.F. Award. This is a practice I’ve gotten away from. However, one individual this past weekend inspired me to start it back up again.

In the past, I’ve always thought to do my best I had to make sacrifices and postpone other priorities in order to achieve my goals. However, as I get older I’ve found contentment in the idea that bike racing is secondary to certain things in life. Despite my secondary devotion to the sport, my results have seemed to have improved. So while I may not be adhering to my previously held notion of the pathway to success…”Who Cares, I’m Flying”, so I’m going with it.

Randy Rodd, fellow teammate, has certainly not followed what most may view as an optimal training plan going into this season. Fresh off a 6 month bender of sewing his wild oats throughout all of Europe, Randy returned to the states a mere 4 weeks ago to once again start turning the cranks. The first race of the season led to tired legs for him and a DNF. However, the next day he showed character by simply finishing the race in Ann Arbor.



Alas, this brings me to this past weekend’s race recap. Low and behold Waterford once again manifested itself into an early race breakaway. Many of the riders who spent their entire off season doing their homework, myself included, wound up in the 9 man break. However, Randy Rodd, fresh off the couch, also placed himself into the break after a tenacious bridge up to the front group. After about 80 minutes of breakaway high jinx, Randy managed to survive to the finish line and led me out for a third place finish and a 9th place finish himself.
The final Sprint
Getting nipped at the line by an old man and a Canadian!
A bird's eye view.

The next day, Ann Arbor brought about another strong spring season field coupled with high winds. Again, an early break formed which I found myself in. After a few laps of pacelining, I looked back and saw a fellow Wolverine racer attempting the bridge to our group. Much to my surprise it was Randy Rodd! After about 40 minutes of breakaway efforts we were able to lap the field. I ended up 2nd on the day and Randy was 6th. Hence, let’s all raise our beer steins to Mr. Randall; he is the first rider in 2011 to receive the W.C.I.F. Award. This also reminds us that the training races are not always about gaining fitness but also sharpening your technical chess game of bike racing.

Sunday's final sprint for second, Vince Roberge had already slipped away after we lapped the field for a well-earned victory

As a whole, the entire Wolverine team has ridden in great cohesion this season. Each member has selflessly played their role to ensure that the whole of the team is a success. I do feel great things are yet to come. So although we may be low in numbers this season, and slightly rag tag, who cares…we’re flying.

After my finishes this weekend, I do believe that mathematically it is impossible to not win the spring series. This is particularly meaningful to me because a Wolverine will have won the spring series for the last 4 years now (2010:Ryan Cross, 2009:Luke Cavender,2008:Ray Dybowski). However, Ray stated to me, “You better still ride like you stole it”, which I intend to do. Some may view the spring training series as meaningless, and perhaps it is. A racer’s fitness can significantly change from now until the bulk of the season, and one’s success in the spring does not dictate their success when the big races roll around. In essence, the real work is still ahead of us, but for now…Who Cares…I’m Flying!

2 comments:

Alan said...

I always thought the WCIF award was those who had the 'fuck-it, lets do this' attitude when racing. You know you go to the race and race your self inside out, not because its 'smart racing' but because of the love of the sport.

Timothy Finkelstein said...

Preconcieved notions are always open for reinvention.