Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Epic Adventure

“Goonies never die!” Ever since I was a kid, when I rolled out my door on my trusty two-wheeler, I dreamed of embarking on an epic adventure. Aspirations of pirate ships, hidden treasure, catching frogs and other creatures, and the possibility of discovering Al Capones hideouts were always on my mind.

As an adult, I still aspire for these epic adventures. I love riding my bike. My girlfriend recently said that every time she watches me roll away for a ride it reminds her of a puppy that is so excited to get out of the house and go outside to play/run/walk. I thought that analogy was quite appropriate.

Racing has always simply been a bi-product of my intense propensity for riding my bike. Most of all rides are based around preparation for races. However, what do you do on a weekend that is absent of any races on the schedule? The answer is S.L.M.R (Stupid Long Mile Rides). S.L.M.R.=Epic Adventure=Fun!

So as the sun rose Saturday morning I looked out the window with that “puppy” look in my eye as I anticipated a day of uninterrupted MTB fun.

The usual suspects met at Einstein in Troy for some pre-ride fuel. In attendance; DK, Cruise, Alanso Smith, and The German.
Although the weather was sketchy at times, we seemed to avoid any inclement situations. As the day rolled on and the miles piled up, so did the chemical shot of endorphins making us feel the extreme elation that only a S.L.M.R. ride can make you feel.

The route- Royal Oak to Einstein in Troy to Pontiac Lake Trails to Milford Trails to Island Lake Trails to back home with a God sent tailwind as a reward.

Total Mileage: 138
Total Ride Time: 9hrs 5min.





4 comments:

Robert said...

Nice Dude!!! Wish things would have worked out for me to join you guys.... I am jealous...

July 4th weekend... friday, saturday, sunday... a triple hundo? Whatcha think??

Soupy said...

That sounds awesome, Finkle.. I wish I was there.. :( I'll be in town over the 4th and would be down for a 100 miler.. But I might need to borrow a bike!

Cruise said...

I like that idea Robert!

Timothy Finkelstein said...

Love the idea...probably won't be in town though