Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Without Further Ado…The Dybo Memiors #1

Awhile back I conceived this idea , it’s now time for it to come into fruition. For all those that know Ray, the man can tell a story and has plenty to tell. Here is one that is the first of many I will share with you as we take a quiet walk with The Godfather through the world of cycling, relationships, food, and more cycling.

Quite often Ray makes mention of “the glory days”. This was a developmental time for Ray in which he spent about 7 years racing full-time, riding 20,000-25,000 miles a year, hoping from town to town, and essentially living, eating, and breathing all things bike-racing.

All bike racers love food but unfortunately when you are “living the dream” you are forced to count every penny and calculate every expense all in the name of your personal labor of love. Below is my narrative from the perspective of Ray written with the most accurate recollection as possible.


I tell you what, maaaaaan…you know what my favorite meal was when I was racing full-time? I mean this was the meal I made everyday! I would take some ramen noodles, crack two eggs in it, throw in a few carrots and onions, let it simmer and….ahhhhh maaaaaaaan…I tell you what. That meal would keep me fueled all day and it costs less than a buck. But the best part is, if I would win that week, I would treat myself. This is what I would do, when I would win I would put tuna fish in it and you know what? That was the best! Niiiiiiiiice, I tell you what, it didn’t get better than that.

I would say I heard that story retold from the mouth of the Godfather more than I can count on two hands and it never gets old. This past Friday I met up with Ray to carpool out to our hotel for the weekends race. I called him on the way and let him know I was going to need to eat tonight before we got on the road. He replied, “don’t worry buddy, I got something waiting for you when you get here”. Can you guess what the meal was? I tell you what, it didn't get better than that.

6 comments:

Cruise said...

I'm gonna go make that cheap meal right now!

Kroske said...

Noodles, carrots, onion, and a bit of chicken... Mmm Mmm good!

Kroske

SMH said...

Chili Cheese Fritos?

sworksredace said...

Timmy I need some clarification on the Godfather's meal. Do U drain the broth from the noodles? Secondly how are the eggs cooked? Hardboiled? Throw in the yokes as well?

Anonymous said...

I tell you what, that was the finest rendition of Ray-isms I have ever seen. And I can safely say I will never make that meal.
-Adam

Anonymous said...

Sworksredace,

Want the real story of what became known as "Breakfast Soup" find the movie Tampopo(1985) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092048/, then you will understand!

-Rayster