Monday, June 18, 2007

Lumberjack 100 Report


After arguably one of Dirt Dawg’s best 3-hour filibusters on school improvement for the 07/08 school year, I was off to the races. Stopping to pick up Angela and Scott Hes, we headed up to Manistee for a weekend of MTB fun.

Scott Hes had been put in charge of arranging the hotel accommodations. Let’s just say he really outdid himself this time putting us up in one of the finest five star cabins Northern Michigan had to offer. Angela was delighted!


Overall, the race went quite well. Since this race was a virgin attempt for me, I probably went out a little too conservative. I rode most of the first lap with the Dolpenator. Once again, Alex seemed to validate his G.P.S. title (this time: German Pacing System). After awhile Alex got sick of me talking mindless babble behind his wheel and took off. I continued to settle in at a comfortable pace.

In the end, I ended up coming in 25th, with a finishing time of 8hr25min, not too bad for a “roadie”. My goal for the race was to crack the top 15. I judged most of my race pace on times posted the past two years. Going by that, my time would of cracked the top ten both years. However, I think the cooperative weather, added field depth, and reversing the course direction added up to a faster race this year. I did have a great time and learned a few things as well for next year: 1. Set my bike up in a bit more relaxed position. 2. Don’t talk so much when on Alex’s wheel. 3. Get a FS bike! 4. Ride Faster. 5. Don’t let Scott Hes reserve the hotel!

The after party was a blast! Founder’s Brewery sponsored the race and provided bottomless cups of loud mouth soup, which I took full advantage of. Angela and Scott had to drag me out after we noticed we were the last people there.

W.C.I.F.A.:
My hats are off to Mike Simonsen for smoking the course in 7 hours flat and leading for the first 60 miles! In addition, huge props to Robert Herriman for virtually shaving 30 minutes off his time from last year.

1 comment:

JBrandt said...

Congrats on the race! Glad to hear it went well. Use those letter-writing skills you learned in high school to pen a complaint letter concerning your accommodations. With proper word placement and an effective adjective or two, perhaps you can score free lodging in the same mold infested barracks for next year. Other than mold spores, what do you have to lose?