Tuesday, May 27, 2008

The Slot Machine Theory

I don’t care what sport you are into, one of the main components of athletic endeavors that drives its participants and spectators is the ever-present spectrum of emotions one feels. A person who is addicted to gambling does not continue this behavior because he/she thinks every time they gamble they will win. They do it because just 1 win in 100 attempts is enough to reinforce the behavior again and again. Without suffering, there is no pleasure and vice versa. Bike racing has brought me to my highest of highs and lowest of lows.

Sparing the details of the Gaslight crit, I can simply chalk up this weekend to one that causes me to question why I even race a bike…what’s the point? I’m not sure if its lack of sleep or distractions caused by the end of the school year around the corner, but my head simply was not in the game this weekend. Gaslight was a blur. Post-race I came down with something that felt much like food poisoning, there was a very bad situation going on in the posterior area. On a positive note, the WSC is in second place overall for the State Team Challenge and thanks to Danny(10th place) and Ray yesterday(13th place) we were still able to secure a few more points.

I did not yield any results, and even worse I went into both these races lacking any plan and focus; perhaps a case of minor early season burn out. Whatever the case, I’ve had my lows…that’s in the past. Cedar Creek State Road Championships here we come. Time to redeem myself.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Never give up, never give up,.........................................................that ship!