Thursday, January 31, 2008

The Dybo Memoirs


If you roll up to virtually any cycling venue in the United States and mention the name Ray Dybowski, there is almost always a good chance that someone will comment, “Yeah, I know that guy, man have I got some stories about him”. After 25+ years of Wolverine racing, Ray has justifiably earned the name “The Godfather of Michigan Cycling”. It is pretty difficult to find another individual with as much credentials, sincerity, knowledge, loyalty, and passion for the sport than Raymond. He is one of those guys that not only bring out the best in racers, but also in people’s everyday traits. As a teammate of mine he has been a teacher to me as well as a great friend and source of motivation.

After several years of road tripping to races and training camps with Ray I have developed quite a mental Rolodex of stories he has told. I guess when you have as many notches in your experience belt as Ray, you have a lot to say and share. The greatest component of Ray’s stories in their similarity to fine wine, they get better with time and the more exposure to them the better you feel. Recently, I was riding with Ray and I proposed the idea to compile his stories together in book format titled “The Dybo Memoirs: Tales from one of Michigan’s finest” as retold by the Finkelstein. In an effort to take the first step in this endeavor I have decided to dedicate a post a week to retelling the rich and compelling stories of The Godfather.

These memoirs will be broken down into themes. The first edition of these inspirational tales will focus on the theme of food. As a warning, all stories are true and based on actual events. However, as time passes and the frequency of the retellings increase so does the exaggeration and grandeur of them.

Stay tuned for the first Vol. 1 Ed.1 of the Dybo Memoirs…guaranteed to warm and inspire the hearts of those who share a passion for cycling and racing.

5 comments:

TheBrothersChase said...

not gonna lie very excited to hear these stories

Doug said...

Each one will have to start with “back in my day”, or “I remember when”, or “I remember a time when”, or “when I was a bike racer”, or just for the fun of it “when I was in the Army...”

Doug said...

And don’t forget to use an old man voice as well :)

Kroske said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kroske said...

Hey Gatto, that’s the current Michigan Master's Time Trial and Criterium Champion you’re talking about there… junior. Not too bad for and old man.