Tuesday, October 23, 2007

“Who Cares? I’m Flying” Award


This week the W.C.I.F.A. goes my good friend/running coach/boss/personal photographer/personal chauffeur/ and primary meal provider, Dirt Dawg.

Fresh off his successfully completed 50-mile trail ultra-marathon, Dirt Dawg was a bit timid going into Sunday’s race. He had been my source of running advice and motivation for the past few months. After completing my 20-mile run and submitting my training report to D.D., I think he began to feel that his protégé might surpass him. However, D.D. had made a pact he would run with me during my virgin attempt at a marathon regardless of the pace.


Hesitantly he lined up with me on Sunday in the 3:30 pacing group. As the race began he looked strong; snapping pictures, telling jokes, commenting on fellow female runners and bobbing his head to whatever sounds his iPod was producing at the time. As my pace began to stager in the later parts of the race D.D. would run ahead of me and walk at the mile markers until I caught up with him. Knowing D.D.’s PR was 3:44, I quickly came to the realization that he would easily beat this time if he could shed his anchor, me. I informed D.D. that if he does not make an attempt at a PR because of me I would be livid! With that information, he motored away from me with the assumed mantra of “Who Cares? I’m Flying!”

D.D. went onto to crush his previous PR by over 11minutes and finishing in an impressive time of 3:33.

Lets all raise our Garmin 305 adorned wrists and water bottles full of Hammer Heed to Dirt Dawg, you are this week’s well deserved W.C.I.F.A.!

Check out D.D.’s race report at: http://dirtdawgramblingdiatribe.blogspot.com/

No comments: