Thursday, July 10, 2008

It’s not just the Motor City, but the Velo-City!


Once again, I have to prelude this entry by extending my sympathies to all those who have to work in the summer. The weather is so nice, the days are so long, the trails are so perfect, and no one should have to be cooped up all day working and missing out on the fun. That being said let me continue with how great my life is.

Next week I am going to head out to the Superweek Pro Tour. It’s my annual pilgrimage to all things fast, furious, and waaaay above my head…I love every minute of it! This year we decided to somehow signify on our team kits that we are from Detroit for just these occasions. After some interest developed by Made in Detroit, we threw their logo on the kit. In the past, whenever I have been racing out of town and people have asked me where I reside, their common response to my answer is one of a bit of shock and dismay. “Do people actually ride bikes in the Detroit area…I thought it was just crime and cars”.

I grew up in Michigan but never thought I would of actually ended up living here in my adult life, the resources are simply not the most optimal for my passions/interests. However, with the emergence of my interest in cycling I have come to develop a family within the velo-world and even more, a pride in where I live.

For instance, recently my Tuesday/Thursday two-a-day training days (track in the AM, Birmingham Worlds/Waterford PM) have morphed in three-a-days; track for breakfast, MTB trails for lunch, and a wholesome road ride for dinner. So it got me thinking…where else can you ride a world-class velodrome in the morning, receive world-class coaching, ride a new MTB park (new Stoney Creek skills park), ride well maintained single track trails in the afternoon, and then meet up with 70 of your best friends for a skinny tired slugfest through the streets of Birmingham/Auburn Hills or Waterford Raceway at night?


I’ve even heard testimony from fellow friends who have moved to places as extravagant as Boulder, CO but reported that although the riding itself is much better, the camaraderie and fellowship amongst the culture is not quite where our scene is.

The thing is, none of this is new. This has all been going on way before I got into riding or before I was even born, Detroit has rich cycling history. The Walden’s, the Young’s, the Andreau's, the Obermeyer's, the Wolverine Sports Club, the Olympic Medals, and the National Champions…the list goes on and on and continues to grow. The Dodge brothers were even cyclists!


I live in Royal Oak, and on any given night I can meet up with my choice of 2-3 different group rides of varying ability levels…and these rides have been going on for years and years!

Earlier this week I ran into an individual on the Clinton River Trail who had just moved here from Germany. He asked about some group rides and I found myself rattling on an on explaining the wealth of opportunities we have to offer. He explained that he was quite amazed that we had so much to offer.

So for all of those riders who like to dwell on what we don’t have here in the Motor City, take some time to dwell on all the things we do have. MADE IN DETROIT: The Velo-City.

3 comments:

TheBrothersChase said...

superweek!!! count ty and i in we are heading down on wed i due believe hit me up soon or ill give u a call

SMH said...

Well said Tim. Living in Chicago has made me realize how much the Detroit cycling scene really has to offer. I'm still trying to figure out a way to visit prior to the New York move.

Anonymous said...

we just discovered the Bloomer Park Velodrome, that has to be the best kept secret in Michigan! Absolute blast.