Thursday, November 13, 2008

W.C.I.F. Award: Iceman Edition


Somehow amidst my rambling of the happenings of my own race I failed to acknowledge the W.C.I.F.A. justifications of the Wolverine racer whom we refer to as Flab. I’m talking about Scotty Fabijanski my friends. Don’t let his boyish appearance fool you, this guy was able to snag a well-deserved podium spot this past weekend claiming 3rd place in the Sport Men 40-44 category in the impressive sub 2 hour fashion of 1:54:11. So there you have it, Scotty Fab my friends…quite possibly my favorite WSC member to see having success in his craft.

So let’s all raise our mild-mannered, quiet/non-offensive demeanors, and downright genuine hearts to Scotty Fab…you are 2008’s Iceman W.C.I.F.A. recipient.

“I managed to get the hole shot, roll off the front, and get out of sight while 100 spirited sport racers gave chase. Once out of sight I put the Wolverine hammer down riding solo until mile 25 where I was caught by a couple of riders to finish 3rd. My Trek Fuel EX never let me down."

4 comments:

TheBrothersChase said...

fab is the man!!!! he deserved that one for sure!!! loook out world fab is on a roll

Anonymous said...

I could not remember the first time that I
met Scotty Fab. I was at The Editors concert with Al, and I had had way too many stiff drinks, but when he first walked into the ice house it didn't take long for me to notice the class and character he was composed of. I was quite embarrassed by my first Iceman performance and Scotty had lots of encouraging words for me afterwards lifting me up. I realize now how much hard work and dedication you guys have put into this great sport. It was an honor and a privilege to hang out with you all.

Kroske said...

Couldn't be more proud... congrats Fab!

Kroske

Timothy Finkelstein said...

Doug,

If you have not already, refer to this story:
http://timfinkel.blogspot.com/2008/02/learning-to-fly.html

There I was, 260 pounds, wandering aimlessly through college, undriven, unfocused, and undefined. I'm not saying cyling is for everyone, but for me it has been the perfect medium for self-improvement and therapy.

It was fun hanging out with you and riding with you and whether or not you choose to continue with your cycling endeavors I think you got that "Smith" tenacity that with hard work could make you an exceptional racer. However, just remember racing your opponent is simply a bi-product of it all. It's really about self-elevation/actualization and camraderie with the culture. If you keep this in mind you'll be sure to stick with it for a long time.

At one point in my life it was a goal of mine to finish a trail like Pontiac Lake without stopping to rest or puking. We all start somewhere.

Enthusiastic rookie riders such as yourself always motivate me to keep riding/training/racing. Thanks for reminding me what it's like to start. I don't remeber every race I've ever done but I sure remember vividly my first season of racing...it's a special time. Enjoy it.

Finkelstein