Thursday, June 24, 2010

Help Me Make-a-Wish


On March 3rd 2009, my 30th birthday, my life and my family’s life changed forever when my oldest Brother Don Finkel passed away unexpectedly.

I’ve been racing a bike for several years. Training and racing has always been one of my top priorities in my life. Losing my brother caused me to reevaluate everything that was important to me in my life. At one point, I considered simply stopping racing as a whole as it now seemed so trivial in the big picture.

My brother was an athlete and loved sports. He coached his three boy’s basketball, baseball, and football teams. He understood how sports could serve as a catalyst for self-improvement in all areas of life. I realized that my brother would have never wanted me to stop racing.

I must admit, racing is inherently a selfish endeavor. The time in the saddle and energy it consumes is simply focused toward personal gratification. This past winter, I decided I wanted to focus my training toward something that affects more than just my own ego. Make-a-Wish seemed to be the perfect organization and event.

Being a self-proclaimed “endurance junkie” I decided to embark in the 300 mile bicycle tour this July. However, in an effort to challenge myself a little more I decided to embark in my conception of “7 in 7 all for 1”.

This entails: 700 miles in 7 days and all on a single speed mountain bike.

It is my hope that this achievement will help to allow other people to realize their dreams, memorialize my brother, and provide great opportunities to others. Although I will be the only one peddling my bike, I will have many others who will be with me and lifting my spirits along the journey.

If you wish to donate, visit here.

You can also read more about my WAM team here.

No comments: