Sunday, October 7, 2007

Teach to Live, Don’t Live to Teach

Today I committed the unthinkable; I went to work on a Sunday. I have been in a bad mood all day. The worst part is, it was voluntarily. Amongst the chaos of teaching in a building at max capacity, I somehow got in over my head in the necessary evils of special education: paperwork.

Understand, I am a teacher, I work roughly half the days out of the year. Yes some may say my job is “so rewarding” or “it must take a special person to do what you do”. Unarguably I do find personal satisfaction in the clichés of molding the minds of tomorrow, but it takes a more special person to work year round! I am completely content with my job and feel it was a great life route to pursue. Rest easy, this field of work was chosen with calculated intent. While I avidly reap all the “rewards” of such a selfless occupation, I do take pride in basking in the personal freedom this career enables.

You must enjoy what you do and I do. However, my job is my vehicle for sustaining a lifestyle outside of the realms of the workplace.

I have learned my lesson; I will NEVER go into work on a Sunday again.

2 comments:

Mom said...

Tim--Never underestimate the influence you're having on your students. Yours is a high calling, and you may not even see the "fruits of your labors" until your students are out on their own!
For now, you will do more walking by faith than by sight!

Unknown said...

Going in on Sunday will in no way give you a leg up on trying to not become the hardest working person.