Sunday, November 4, 2007

Overly Confident…

Here a physics query for you all to chew on and savor.

Tim Finkelstein is traveling at 23mph and accelerating at a rate of 1.7m/s squared on a descent at PLRA where he encounters a tree approximately 26 inches in diameter and a mass of nearly 600 times his body weight. Using Newton’s second and third laws of motion, explain in detail how Tim’s velocity, momentum, and inertia are affected upon impact.


Regardless of today’s crash I had a stellar ride at PLRA. Forgetting about daylight savings time, I accidentally woke up at 4:30am and found myself heading out to PLRA at what I thought was 6:30 but was actually 5:30. It was still quite dark when I arrived.

Despite my prolonged hiatus from all things two-wheeled, lately, I've been feeling pretty good on my carbon fiber MTB steed. I was quite surprised to see my first lap come in at 39 minutes, a time that is personally quite impressive for my ability. Lap two left me yearning for a faster time until the tree got the best of me. I still ended up with three laps and they were all done before most people get up in the morning.

Hopefully I can keep the rubber side down this upcoming weekend.

3 comments:

Shawn said...

It's never the tree/wall/ground/large object that you hit that kills you, it the sudden change in velocity.

Immanuel Mel Ott Coordinator said...

Ouch!

Prediction: Mom will drive down tonight with chicken noodle soup and a box of band aids for you after reading your blog...Oh Timmy!

TheBrothersChase said...

you prob wouldnt have been hurt if you woulda had some delicous pasties and cowboy pops this weekend