Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Striving for Sanity


The following excerpt is from Dr. George Sheehan's last essay before his death, published in the November 2003 issue of Runner’s World. His explanation of training validation seems to make much sense and be very poignant. Simply replace “cycling” with “running” when reading.

We know the effects of training are temporary. I cannot put fitness in the bank. If inactive, I will detrain faster than it took me to get in shape. And since my entire persona is influenced by my running program, I must remain constantly in training. Otherwise, the sedentary life will inexorably reduce my mental and emotional well being.
So, I run each day to preserve the self I attained the day before. And coupled with this is the desire to secure the self yet to be. There can be no letup. If I do not run, I will eventually lose all I have gained, and my future with it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

A vicious...Cycle for sure Tim-man. Or in this case, Run.

Good to have you back online. Good cublicle reading my friend. Keep it up. The next Oberon is on me.

Joberon

Shawn said...

I used to love reading his articles when I ran cross country in high school. Thanks.

Unknown said...

The effects of the FR Series..Outstanding!!!