Friday, June 27, 2008

And That’s Bike Racing 4 U!

Not sure if I’ve mentioned it before, but the summertime is great! The suits that pay me and enable me to sustain my lifestyle say that I don’t need to report to work for about 11 weeks, and they continue to send me a paycheck. So what do I do with all this time? In the years past I’ve always ridden my bike copious amounts but it was always coupled with disc golf, late night long boarding sessions, lots of oat soda, and insufficient rest…basically the rock star style of burning the candle at both ends. Last summer as I purchased my first home, seemed to be the summer of tinkering around the house. However, this season I have committed to living the illusive lifestyle of a pro cyclist. My first week of summer vacation was spent by riding twice a day (AM structured workout, PM group rides). In addition, my diet, my rest, and all ancillary activities outside of riding have been specifically calculated to assure I go into each race prepared.

Yesterday I hit the track early for about 2 hours and the headed out to Waterford Hills for some midweek head to head training combat. A break went on the third lap of a 2-hour race. Initially I was not in it, but after accessing its horsepower and potential for success I quickly made the decision to bridge to it…and we were off for two hours of pacelining breakaway fun. Initially, I had one of my teammates, John Coates, in attendance with me but he was unable to hang on the entire duration. Outnumbered by Essex boys, and assured there was no way the break was getting caught, I conceded to conserve and skip some pulls in an effort for fresh legs at the finish. As they announced the final lap, I rolled across the line eager to see how the race will play out and to test my sprinting legs. However, much to my dismay, as I went into the first turn of the final lap I looked down and quickly realized I had a puncture in my rear tubular. After two hours of effort, my race was over with one lap to go. I considered rolling it in on the flat but the race only pays three deep, and while my pride is large, the price tag on wrecking a set of race wheels in the name of finishing is even larger. I’ve said it before, sometimes things just don’t work out the way you planned and that’s bike racing for you…just another reason why we all keep returning to the start line.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

skipping pulls = bad joojoo.
bad joojoo = flat tire on last lap.