Tuesday, June 24, 2008

It may have not been Superior, but it wasn’t too shabby!


While the rest of my teammates were making memories on the road during their venture to Superior Bike Fest, I was in Traverse City this past weekend for a wedding.

On paper, to those who know me, the weekend could present itself as a Finkelstein Personal Hell Prison. However, I must say it proved to be quite the contrary. After my hectic day with the 3-5 year olds, we arrived in Traverse City Thursday evening only to be greeted by the luxurious amenities that our seaside condo had to offer.

Being the supportive, patient, and understanding person that Angela is, she allowed me to bring both my road bike as well as a mountain bike in an effort to alleviate the intolerable anxieties that would have been created had I not rode for four days.

All in all, I was able to squeeze in 18 hours of riding over the four-day period on the picturesque landscapes of Mission Bay Peninsula as well as the Vasa Trail.

I’m not much of a wedding type of person. I find the cliché unoriginal rituals to be exhausting and intolerable. However, I have to say that this wedding was one of the most beautiful, genuine, and original weddings I have ever been to. In fact, it was the first wedding I have attended that when I looked around, I thought to myself, I wouldn’t mind all of this for myself.

So while I was not in attendance at Superior Bike Fest, the weekend still proved that sometimes there are events in people’s lives that take precedence over bike racing and that are well worth it in the long run. I was able to bond with Angela’s family more and was able to truly relax and get some great miles and smiles in.

5 comments:

TheBrothersChase said...

theres always next year......brotherschase's mother says everyone must come back.

Doug said...

18 hours in four days, there you go.

Justice of the peace for you? Half day off work, $250, and boom you’re married for way less then twenty grand :)?

Immanuel Mel Ott Coordinator said...

Not to put any undo pressure or anxiety in your highly stressful life…

5th paragraph, 3rd sentence…that would be cool!

After 15 years in...I can attest that the ritual is definitely worth it! Just do it and make us all happy!

Anonymous said...

I hear wedding bells. Does anyone else hear wedding bells? I can see a 5 tier wedding cake, with the little plastic groom sitting on a little plastic Trek. After all Angela you know what they all say, "Marry the man, marry his bike!". You could make Angela's ring out of an old bike tire and chain. Who needs gold and diamonds? RW

Anonymous said...

It's drawing you in, look away from the light.