Friday, January 9, 2009

Assuagement


"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go" T. S. Eliot

On Monday of this week I received a heart dropping email from the organizers of the 2009 World 24hr Solo Championships stating that due to a grandfather clause of past participants, and despite my qualification, that I possibly may not be granted a spot in this year’s competition. Last year was a record-breaking year for attendance and they anticipate this year to be even more packed.

Hi Tim,

Later this afternoon we will be announcing the 11th annual World Solo 24 Hours of Adrenalin Championships. The event will be returning to Canmore, Alberta this coming July 24 - 26, 2009. Thanks for sharing your interest in the event. The 2008 event was the largest International field in the history of the championships and with this years team event selling out in 18 hours a year in advance it's looking to be another banner year.

I see a Tim Finkel in our database from 2003, our last year at Hardwood. Is that you? DOB: MAR/3/1979 in Michigan.

Tim, it's going to be extremely difficult to get a entry for this event, however winning the HAN certainly boosts well.

I suggest that you submit a race resume as soon as possible.

Thanks,

Stuart


As I read this my mind raced, followed by a complete loss of words or reaction. This is was what I set out to do…where would I go from here? I never considered any other goals for this season.

Yesterday I opted to scale back my training plans for the day to stay late at work and compile a convincing cover letter and race resume for the organization in the hopes that I will be granted a spot.

Today, ironically during my 3rd Hour Bike Mechanics class I received the following email from Stuart:

Morning Tim,

Thank you for providing a cover letter and race resume. Based on the information provided I'm happy to grant you a slot for the 2009 World Solo 24 Hours of Adrenalin Championships. Please note that qualifying is going to change within the next 10 days so this is only guaranteed if you register with this period. I have activated your old profile on our web site, please log in and update all your information today please.

Thanks again for your interest and look forward to meeting you,

Stuart



As I read it I burst out loud with excitement and may have even jumped off the ground a little bit. My students looked at me in confused wonderment. Following this reaction, I made them all drop everything they where working on at the moment and turn their attention to the big screen which projected my computer monitor. As I read my acceptance letter with proud proclamation, the students and other staff in the room applauded.

Due to the urgency of the matter, I performed a bit of personal business on company time and quickly registered during my 6th hour prep time today. I can now for the first time proudly say there is no turning back…I am in. 196 more days…how will I spend them?

I never considered that there would be difficulty getting into this race granted I qualified. The realization of this drastically altered my motivation and spirit; I was crushed. However, after having to go through the week long emotional roller coaster of realizing this dream may not come to fruition, and then actually having everything pan out in the end, I have come to value the fortunate situation I am now in more so than if there had been zero hiccups in the process. This small derailment has equated to even more burning passion and aspiration; it was a blessing.

3 comments:

JBrandt said...

I'm glad all worked out well. Any post that includes T.S. Eliot is quality.

cullen watkins said...

Congrats.You deserve and earned this oppertunity.Your humility shines through and will see you to a great season.

msfzx said...

That quote has been on my fridge for 20 years. It's so true...as you're finding out. What an experience you're going to have in the next 196 days! mmmm mmm mmmmm!