Sunday, January 4, 2009

Monkhood.

Monkhood (n): Live Simply. Eat clean and lean. Sleep well. Train Hard. Train Smart. Focus all mental and physical energy on the task at hand. Organize priorities. Abstain from alcohol and any other form of indulgences other than riding.

If 2008 taught me one thing it is the realization of the power of mental commitment and the results that can follow.

Recently, 24 hours of Adrenaline announced that the 2009 World Solo 24 Hour Mountain Bike Championships will be held at the Canmore Nordic Center in Alberta, Canada on July 25th.

201 days lay in front me. Come July 25th, I want to stand at the line, crowd roaring the countdown, with the assurance I spent those days making the most optimal preparation choices. All decisions must ultimately lead to one specific goal.

This past holiday season I spent my final days enjoying my family and friends and the love that surrounds me, their support will carry me through this journey. New Years Eve brought about a last supper of sorts, as I partook in one final indulgence before diving into the depths of dedication.

I have changed one perspective this season however. I viewed last season as a personal quest. I relied on myself for motivation and I admittedly developed a self-absorbed, narcissistic attitude. This time around I intend to realize how all of this fits into the big picture: family, friends, and future. I do not intend to go about this alone but rather with the community that surrounds me.

Training has always been a bit of a catch-22 for me. In essence, I put off doing everyday necessary tasks to go riding (organizing bills, finances, my basement, garage, files, etc.). However, if I negate riding to tend to these tasks, I get extreme anxiety from my time off the bike. Likewise, I receive anxiety while training when I think about the ancillary responsibilities I have put off to go ride. As a step toward monkhood, I have spent the past few days developing organizational systems for my belongings, and getting rid of as many material items that are not commonly utilized but take up space and mental energy. Live simply.

In Fight Club, Tyler Durden states that you don’t own your material possessions, they own you.

Monkhood. This race will receive all of me.

What is your destination? How are you going to get there? Who else is with me?

4 comments:

Mike Connolly said...

Hey Tim, I dont know if you knew this or not, but I spent a bit of time in Canmore this year and even rode a lap on my company's relay team for the 24 Hours of Adrenaline.... Ive got Nordic Center topo/course maps, Canmore restaurant, lodging info and maybe even a little insight for you. Ill try to remember to bring the stuff to the ride Monday.

Kroske said...

Do you have any advice for the poor schlepts handing him water bottles, bag balm and power bars for 24 hours...

Kroske

Paynful said...

Nice write-up and very true!!

Good luck training!

Timothy Finkelstein said...

Poor schlepts? I appauled...the victory last summer was all in part to the tenacity of you, Alan and Angela as much as it was mine.

Get focused...clear your schedule for the end of July!!!