Tuesday, March 3, 2009

A Few thoughts from the more mature Finkelstein

The only time you really live fully is from thirty to sixty. The young are slaves to dreams; the old servants of regrets. Only the middle-aged have all their five senses in the keeping of their wits.
- Hervey Allen

I can’t help but feel blessed today. Many view thirty as a milestone that marks a slippery slope toward death or the end of their youthful “pinnacle” years. I however, feel quite the contrary. I’ve always measured my life by the things I have to look forward to in the future. It could be short term (like my next training camp), or long term (like when I get a dog). When I woke up this morning, a wave of true contentment came over me as I relished in the reassurance that I have so much to look forward to both short and long term.

A life unexamined is not worth living.

I am blessed. I am thankful.

1 comment:

Doug said...

At 30 you have enough experience not to do something stupid, and have enough experience to be good at what you try/do. Also at 30, you are still young enough to enjoy that experience.