Monday, July 30, 2007

330 Miles of Racing in one Week!


We left Sunday the 22nd for the Superweek Pro Tour. I was definitely in good company: Alan Smith, Ray Dybowski, Scott Kroske, Luke Cavender, Greg Christian, Ben Renkema, Brent Delrosario, Maia Orabi, John Coyle, and Kelly Paterson all participated in our week’s travels.

At times, we were probably a little closer than desired. I learned a lot about my fellow teammates; bowel patterns, sleeping habits, pheromone emissions, and many other things that I never really wanted to know about.



Monday July 23rd Holy Hill Road Race. Length: 160k Field Size: 160+

Intimidation hit hard when the Rock and Republic team pulled up.


This race is always a pure race of attrition. If you finish, then you will most likely be in the money. That is exactly what happened this year. I rolled in at 32nd, just in the money. I was pleased with my finish and stoked to start the crit racing the next day.

Other notable finishes included:
Alan Smith: Cat. 3 12th place
Greg Christian: Pro 1/2 23rd Place
Ray Dybowski: Masters 30th place


Tuesday July 24th Cedarburg Criterium. Length 100k 130+ starters (NRC Race)

Last year I got dropped from this race in the first ten laps. My goal was to finish it. I hung in for 1-hour 54min only to get popped with about 12 minutes left in the race due to unbearable hot spots in my feet. Although I would of loved to finish the race, I was very pleased with my performance. Kudos to Ben Renkema for solidifying a respectable 17th place.

Wednesday July 25th Green Bay Bellin Health Criterium. Length 100k 130+ starters


I finished this race last year in a breakaway after several riders had already lapped the field. As a result, I was confident that I could hold strong in this race and possibly be a decent finish contender.

I bridged to a break early in the race. Unfortunately, it did not last. On the bell lap, there was a crash in turn 1 (including Ben Renkema). I was very lucky to avoid going down, but as a result was the victim of a huge field gap. I rolled in a 52nd place. Luke Cavender was able to respectively sprint himself to 20th place…in the money baby!


In fact, every Wolverine who graced Superweek this year went home with at least one check. At one point in a Pro 1-2 race, the announcer described the WSC as “An American Institution of Cycling”!

* Check out the WSC Men’s Elite Team Blog for more detailed results.

We decided to stay in Wisconsin Wednesday night and celebrate a week of great times and racing.

Thursday morning we set out back home on a voyage that ended up taking about 10 hours.

I got back just in time to accompany Robert Herriman to the Incubus concert at DTE Energy that night. As always, DTE provided great people watching! One notable thing: DTE now serves Lienekugel’s Sunset Wheat, and Blue Moon!…No more watered down Bud Light!

1 comment:

JBrandt said...

Just got back from West Bend, Wisconsin. Nice area. Nice town. Unfortunately, I had no room for the bike. However, I did note my friend's new recumbent. He was proud; I was dismayed.