Monday, July 30, 2007

Memiors of Mania!

Whoa! What a month it has been…I’m not sure where to start?

I was starting to get a defeated feeling about two weeks ago. It happens to all of us. I had been racing with marginal results and starting to get that “burn out” feeling. Questions of why I ride bikes started streaming through my thoughts constantly.

July 19th brought me my umpteenth 7th place finish at Ciacaro. I’ve conceded to the fact that no matter who is in the field…if it comes down to a sprint finish at Ciacaro, I am taking 7th; its all I’m good for, I’m sorry.

July 20th did not help much when the Sex Panthers ended up balls deep in humiliation in their double-loss against Ballzdeep (Second in the league).

The following Saturday I raced the Fenton Road Race and felt as if I was merely a participant. I had not felt that bad in a race all year! The entire race I had dead legs and an extremely full bladder…I was lucky to finish with the field. Ray D. called me after the race and stated the following: “You have about 5-6 weeks of racing left this season…I don’t know what you have to do, but you better find a way to put yourself together and make something special happen before the end of the season. I’ve gone into September before with nothing but a bunch of races under my belt and it doesn’t feel good…I don’t want that to happen to you”.

I was starting to wonder whether or not I really even wanted to go to Superweek.

However, after I spoke with Ray D. I went home and watched Anchor Man: The Legend of Ron Burghandy and something in my mind snapped and took a turn for the better. I realized “I’m not sure how to put this, but I kind of a big deal…people know me”.


In true Finkel form for proper race preparation, I decided to throw a last minute bash at my house Saturday night. The turn out was good. The invitation via text message read “I’m having a party tonight…I don’t know how to put this but it is kind of a big deal”. Hours later, flocks of friends showed up at my doorstep armed with barley juice and wondering what my big announcement was. Many were dissapionted to discover I had no big announcement, I had simply watched Anchor Man one too many times over the past few days.

Ahh yes, the Beer Pong Dream lived on in my third victory! I am now 3-0.

Also, after much coaxing and a little help from some Jagermeister…I busted out the yo-yos and treated my guests to an eye opening, mystifying show of fine motor brilliance!

Alan Smith was very glad he had good health insurance as I knocked a poker chip off his ear with the yo-yo after being roughly 20 sheets to the wind.

No comments: