Saturday, August 4, 2007

Ciaciaro Race Report: The End is Nearing…

Ciaciaro was like a breath of fresh air this week after the punishing I took last week by the RFGs (Really Fast Guys).

Feeling particularly good, Ray and I decided we wanted push the pace from the get-go. I attacked and headed up a break on the second lap. We had four teams represented. As a result, the gap became very sizeable quite quickly. After about 1/2 hour of pace line work we began to see the back of the field and hopes of lapping the group began ensuing.

Then it happened…



Kroske crashed with two other guys in the field. The field was immediately neutralized. Rumors speculated the speed was around 30mph when it occurred. I stared in panic as I watched my fellow teammate lay lifeless on the ground for about ten minutes. However, Scottie finally got up and was not able to finish the race but walked away from the scene with nothing more than some severe road rash and a few thousand dollars worth of damage to his already decrepit steed.


I’m not sure if the other riders were as lucky? They left in an ambulance.

The race was restart after about 40min. of medical mayhem. Our break was given 25 sec. to start with a remaining hour race time. Quickly, we began to see the back of the field again, it seemed that we had not lost much momentum. Two primes were called and I won them both. However, the breaks organization then began to diminish. At 6min. left in the race we were caught! It seems I am always a bride’s maid, but never a bride.

The race ended in a sprint finish and naturally Danielle D. took the win.

Coincidently, at the start of the day I was in 4th overall for the sprinter’s classification of the series. I do believe that with the primes I picked up this race, I am now tied for 2nd. This is quite ironic, seeing as I am NOT a sprinter; all of the points were acquired in breakaways.

No comments: