Sunday, August 12, 2007

BTR Race Report

I was really excited for this race because it took place on the campus of my Alma Mater, Western Michigan University. I always get a good feeling when I venture back to K-Zoo.

The course was smooth and fast with a bit of headwind on the back section. As the race started, it took a few laps until the field got used to the corners and figured out the best lines to take. About 4 laps in a field split occurred. I bridged myself to it and we quickly had a group of 13 with a sizeable gap. Dan Klein, Luke Canvender and myself were all representing the WSC in the group. We rolled a very dilapidated pace line for awhile until some of the Lathrup/Ford guys decided it was time to “reshuffle” the deck and shed the weak links. An attack occurred and five guys got of the front including Dan K. Unfortunately I had just taken a pull and did not have the legs or the reaction at the time of the attack and did not make the front group. Quickly, two more guys from our chase group bridged up the top five. I was then left with six of the “weak links” from the original break. Eventually, our chase whittled down to three guys (unfortunately shedding Cavender who then resulted in a DNF).

In the end, Dan Klein ended up 2nd and had also won all of the primes. I rolled in at 9th, which was in the money. Overall it was a good day for the WSC. Ray Dybowski had also won the Masters 35+ race just prior to our race in a three man breakaway effort.


Naturally, we celebrated our successful day at Bell’s Brewery afterwards.

No comments: